Hoopla

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 1

It's the first day of a new year. In fact, this first day of 2011 is almost over. 2010 was a good year for me. I'm almost sad to see it go. A new year is here and I am excited to see what is up ahead.

2010 was the best year yet. When I look back at it, three words come to mind: God is good. There were many moments this past year where I just stepped back, looked at my life and was completely overwhelmed by the grace and goodness of my God.  The first half of the year was full of wedding planning and showers. On May 21st, I got to marry my best friend in front of all our precious friends and family. What an incredible day that was. Thoughts of that day and the events leading up to that day completely overwhelm me. What a blessing. I still can't believe it's been 7 months. Again, God is so good.

Another huge event in my life happened on May 6th. My precious grandma went to be with Jesus after a long battle with Alzheimer's. I've heard people call that disease "the long goodbye". That is certainly the truth. It's an awful thing for a loved one to forget who you are. We had watched her mental health deteriorate, and her physical health followed soon after. What a blessing it is to know she is no longer suffering. I'm certain that she is thoroughly enjoying being with the God she loved so much. And while I miss her and I know my family does too, I think we would all agree that God's timing is perfect. And He is so so good.

There are so many beautiful things that happened this year. To name a few more. . .We got to go on an awesome honeymoon to Kauai and then to Estes Park, CO a couple months later with my family. Jason started his last year of college. Our best friends welcomed their first baby into the world. We love our sweet Patterson. We celebrated our first Christmas as a married couple. Those are just a few of the highlights that I can think of at the moment.

I have a million things to be thankful for: My husband, my family, my friends, my job, our home, my church, too many things to name. I'll say it again, God is good and His goodness and grace is astonishing. This verse has been at the forefront on my mind all year long:

"You are good and do good; Teach me your statutes." Psalm 119:68

The Lord has shown me his goodness to me over the past year. I'm going to focus more on the second part of this verse this year. I am hungry to know more and more about my God whom I love so much. I want to know him deeply. To allow him to teach me. To want to be taught. He is good, why would I not want to know more about Him, more of Him.

We sang the song below at church tonight. I think it's only fitting to end this first post with it's chorus.

"How marvelous, how wonderful
and my song shall ever be
How marvelous, how wonderful
is my Savior's love for me"

He is so, so good.

2 comments: